Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Transformation


Let's start with the topic of transformation. Imagine the Broadway strip as it was in the 1950's. The age of the automobile and the visions of Sputnik and UFOs landing down on a slowly-darkening twilit California Summer night. You've got your girl by your side and you're looking for some grub; a late night snack before the day is done. Where do you go?

Fast-forward 50 years. The skeletons of Art Deco days past litter the post-industrial landscape like so many downtowns across the nation. Life pops up in the shells of dealerships and auto-repair warehouses...a live/work loft supper club space here, an installation gallery there. The news from Detroit isn't good: we're moving beyond the car, beyond the 35mph strip gaze and into the hybrid, the green, the walkable smaller boutique cityscape.

Maybe there is a way to harness the jetpack aesthetic of the past and forge into a future architecture: a retro-futurist optimism built on the local, the California vernacular of 24-hr. coffee and burger joints. A way to eat right and small with good friends and good tunes. A way to walk fearlessly into that twilit late-Summer night.

Welcome to the Biff's Renaissance.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent start, Chip.

    One thing we haven't talked about is how (inextricably?) related this architecture is to the car. Does Biff's need to be surrounded by a parking lot to maintain its aesthetic, or is there some way to update this aspect of it too, along with making the coffee a bit stronger? Does the green aesthetic clash with original googie intentions? Interesting design challenge.


    Geza

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would really like to speak with you. Email me samanthal_stevens@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everyone, My name is Siska wibobo i live in Surabaya in Indonesia, I am a student, I want to use this opportunity to remind all loan seekers to be very careful because there are many fraud and crime-seeking loan companies here on the internet, Until i saw Mr Suryanto post about Mrs Esther Patrick and i contact her via email: (estherpatrick83@gmail.com)

    A few months ago, I was desperate to help with my school fees and projects but there was no one to help and my father was only able to fix some things that were not even enough, so I was looking for loans online but was scammed.

    I almost didn't give up until I sought the advice of my friend Mr Suryanto calling me a very reliable lender who lent a with an unsecured loan of Rp200,000,000 in less than 24 hours without pressure or stress at a low interest rate of 2%. I was very surprised when I checked my bank account and found that my number was applied directly transferred to my bank account without delay or disappointment, immediately i contacted the mother via (estherpatrick83@gmail.com)

    And also I was given the choice of whether I wanted a paper check to be sent to me via courier service, but I told them to tranfer the money into my bank account, because I promised that I would share the good news so people could get easy loans without stress or delay.

    Rest assured and confident that this is original because I have all the evidence of processing this loan including ID cards, loan agreement documents and all paper works. I trust Madam ESTHER PATRICK with whole-hearted cor-oporate credit and confidence so much because she has truly helped my life pay for my project. You are very fortunate to have the opportunity to read this testimony today. So, if you need any loan, please contact the Madam via email: (estherpatrick83@gmail.com)

    You can also contact me via my email at (siskawibowo71@gmail.com) if you find it difficult or want the procedure to obtain a loan

    Now, all I do is try to fulfill monthly loan repayments that I sent directly to the Madam monthly account as directed. God will bless Madam ESTHER PATRICK for Everything. I am gratefull.  

    ReplyDelete